Welcome to A Movie Lover’s Book Club, where we discuss all things novels, movies, and more. If you’ve found this post, you’re interested in my August book pick. Yay! If it’s your first time here or you need a refresher, let’s dive into logistics; if you have the basics covered, feel free to jump ahead.
A Movie Lover’s Book Club: How It Works
It’s totally ok if you still need to finish the book – all are welcome to join in and share their thoughts. If you want, start with my questions, or if you feel passionate about a passage you’ve read or a scene you watched, jump right into the comments and discuss.
I want books to be inclusive and engaging, so don’t hesitate to share your thoughts. Your comments and ideas are valuable, no matter how many pages you’ve read.
- A new book will be introduced with a film or series counterpart every month.
- Next month (August), look for my “NOVEl TITLEDiscussion” post, which will include content for July’s book pick.
- Expect novel discussion posts to occur on the 10th of each month.
- Each book is an opportunity for us to review the month’s novel, analyze themes of both the novel and the media counterpart, and get nerdy with it.
I recently partnered with Bookshop. A website alternative to Amazon, connecting readers with independent booksellers. When you make a purchase through my affiliation link I may earn a portion of the sales at no additional cost to you. Shop my full bookshop – here.
My goals for the discussion posts
- Include a book review
- Questions to ask yourself and each other with my own responses
- Memorable moments and quotes
- Snack/meal ideas to pair with the book and watch-along counterpart
- A film/show review (compare and contrast the adaptation)
- Other fun things things
- In working to fulfill my hopes of creating a true community on my website, I will be actively checking and participating in thoughts and discussion on the book each month.
- Of course, you don’t have to watch the movie or show to participate; this is just about having fun.
- Please feel free to share any book interests in the comment section below.
- I always want to know what you’re reading, so even if you didn’t choose to read the book I picked for the month, share what you are reading.
July Book Pick
Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed
About the Novel
Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed is a collection of essays originally appearing as a “Dear Sugar” advice column. In this book, Strayed shares her experiences and insights on everything from love and loss to grief and forgiveness.
I’ve read this book in the past (about two years ago), and I fell in love. I plan to reread this book to better formulate August’s discussion. The timing of this book is perfect. Things have been stressful this year, and we’re just a little past the halfway point of 2023. So, I wanted something uplifting and easy.
I’m really excited to dive back into this novel for book club. Cheryl Strayed has a uniquely delicate yet painfully blunt balance in her writing; it makes her feel so trustworthy to me. Tiny Beautiful Things is, at its core, an exploration of what it means to be human and how we can find meaning and purpose in life, even in the face of hardship.
What We’re Watching
Before Reading Think About
- What do you hope to gain or learn from reading this book, and how do you plan to apply its lessons to your own life?
- Have you read Cheryl Strayed work previously? If so, do you have any expectations for this novel?
- As you’re reading, think about the relatability of each letter writers situations/struggles. Highlight any particular letters or responses that resonated with you, and contemplate Strayed’s responses to these specific columns.