Today I am bringing you a “buddha bowl” style breakfast hash that will satisfy your tastebuds and your body.
WHY INCORPORATE GREENS INTO YOUR BREAKFAST?
Nutritionists believe starting your day with nutrient-dense foods can boost your mood and may even increase your daily productivity.
Adding sautéed greens like spinach, collard greens, and kale into your morning breakfast bowl is a good way to get those foods rich in vitamins, minerals and other important healthful nutrients, while also being low in sugar and bad fats.
Starting your day off with a veggie heavy breakfast gives you a head start to the daily dose your body needs to remain healthy and happy.
WHAT IS TAHINI?
Tahini is a Middle-Eastern condiment made of toasted ground sesame, and is a traditional staple ingredient in hummus. It has a light nutty flavor, but can also be a bit bitter.
For each tablespoon of tahini you will find 3 grams of protein, 3 grams of carbs, and roughly 90 calories.
Tahini is high in vitamin B1 and vitamin B6 (energy producing vitamins), and is a great source for bone health chemicals, phosphorus and manganese. Tahini is also rich in antioxidant, particularly high in the lignan sesamin, helping to prevent free radical damage in your body and may reduce your risk of disease.
There are studies supporting sesame seed antioxidant properties’ ability to support brain health, decreasing the risk of developing neurodegenerative diseases. This is because sesame seed antioxidants can cross the blood-brain barrier, leaving the bloodstream and directly affecting your brain and central nervous system.
WHAT ARE THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF COLLARD GREENS?
The concept of collard greens for breakfast is slept on (pun intended). We are often grabbing for those overnight oats (which I do love, love, love!) or that prepackaged cereal in the mornings, but breakfast doesn’t have to be that simple.
Mixing things up with a healthy dose of veggies and protein in the morning can power you through the day – enhancing digestion through fiber rich foods like sweet potatoes and (you guessed it) collard greens, elevate mental performance, and give you that mood-boosting affect simple carbs (found in breakfast cereals) just don’t.
Collard greens, which is the sample in this veggie hash, are an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C, and calcium. They contain vitamin K which supports bone health, improving that calcium absorption and fighting off the risk of osteoporosis. Like tahini, they also contain vitamin B6, and are a good source of iron.
- 2 cups Collard Greens (I used chopped frozen)
- 1 large Tomato
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper
- 1/2 cup Portobello Mushrooms
- 1/2 half Red Onion (I also include white but not necessary)
- 2 Sweet Potatoes
- 3-4 Fresh Garlic Cloves
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/3 cup Veggie Broth
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1-2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- Tahini Drizzle (ingredients listed separately below)
Optional Ingredient Boost:
- Vegan bacon
- Over-easy egg (if you are not going for the vegan option)
Easy Peasy Tahini Drizzle Ingredients
- 1/3 cup Tahini
- 1/2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/3 tsp Paprika
- 1/3 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tbsp Sriracha (for a little kick)
- Water (until combination is smooth)
1) Sauté tomatoes in coconut oil with salt and fresh chopped garlic until tomatoes are soft.
2) Add yellow bell pepper and red onion to tomato sauté; cook for about 2 minutes before adding chopped mushrooms.
4) Season the sautéing mix with cumin, paprika, red pepper flakes, and add mushrooms to the mix.
5) Add cubed sweet potatoes, sauté about 5 minutes, until potatoes are slightly browned. Combine Collard Greens (I used frozen), apple cider vinegar, and vegetable broth – lid to steam.
6) While sweet potatoes and collard greens are cooking, prepare tahini drizzle.
7) The tahini drizzle is just an easy little combo of tahini, lemon juice, and seasoning (measurements above) whisk together. The lemon juice will cause the tahini to clump. Add water until the texture becomes smooth and is a drizzle consistency. Taste for flavor and adjust as desired.
8) Once sweet potatoes are cooked through, serve with drizzle and enjoy.