Bringing you one last tasty treat for the year, and this one is truly simple as can be.
Perfect for your Christmas or New Years celebration – These chocolate-cherry mice hold a special place in my childhood memories and heart.
When I was a kid, around nine-years-old or so, a very close family friend taught me how to make these one Christmas. It’s a memory that I cherish greatly, and I am happy to share it with all of you today!
Here is what you will need:
|Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips|
|Parchment or Wax Paper|
1) Gather all of your ingredients. Drain the juice from the Maraschino Cherries, and pat dry. Place aside in bowl. Unwrap a handful of Hershey’s Kisses.
2) Pour sliced almonds into another small bowl. Lay out parchment paper, this will be where the cherries will sit after being dipped in chocolate. I placed my parchment on a baking sheet that fit inside the freezer, but you can also use a large plate or serving tray – whatever you have handy.
3) Next, grab your semi-sweet chocolate chips. As most probably know, chocolate is a temperature-sensitive ingredients that requires gentle, indirect heat in order to melt smoothly and coat the cherries just right. To do this, you can use a double boiler if you have one (which I do not) or you can maneuver your own with a bowl and pot.
4) For DIY double boiler: medium pot, heatproof bowl. Bring an inch or two of water to a simmer in pot, place bowl on pot. Ta-Da!
5) In the heatproof bowl poor about half a cup of semi-sweet chocolate. Place over pot and mix consistently to keep the chocolate from burning. The stove-top can sit on low heat.
6) Dip and coat your cherries in the melted chocolate, then place a Hershey kiss against the cherry. Place gently on the parchment paper.
7) Allow chocolate to harden just a scoach. Place two almond slices (the perfect ears) where the Hershey and cherry meet.
8) Once all cherry mice are coated in chocolate and have their ears, place in the freezer to harden. This only takes about 5-10 minutes depending on how many you make. We moved ours to the fridge for storage.
These guys are quite addicting and delicious, so make sure you make plenty because they will be gone before you even know it!
I hope you guys enjoy!