If you want to add some eerie elegance to your Halloween party, I’ve got the perfect dish for you: Apple Brie Ghost Bites! This savory, sweet, cheesy creation is not only delicious but also a fun addition to any snack board or appetizer platter.
The first go around of these brie bites wasn’t so much a failure as it was… a tasty promise that needed improvement.
My initial attempt at bites was for Halloween high tea. I used crescent rolls and shaped my ghosts around the brie. It was messy and took a long time.
Some came out cute, others a little crazy. Mostly, the dough-to-brie apple ratio was off, so while they didn’t taste bad, I knew they could be better. Thus, enter puff pastry and cookie cutter. Made things much easier, and balanced out the size so they tasted better too.
- 1/2 wheel of brie cheese
- 2 sheets of puff pastry
- 1 green apple
- Honey (for drizzle)
- Ghost cookie cutter
- Eye sprinkle(s) (optional)
1. Unveil the Ghostly Figure: Preheat oven to 375°F or as directed. While oven heats, take your sheet of puff pastry and roll it out flat on parchment paper. Using a cookie cutter, cut out ghost shapes.
2. Prepare the Brie: Remove any excess packaging from the brie, leaving just the cheese. You can leave the rind on for extra flavor, or, if you prefer, gently remove the top layer of the rind. Cut small slivers of cheese to sit inside the belly of your ghosts.
3. Apple Belly Ghosts with that Honey Drizzle:
- Slice your apple into small slivers or pieces (pictured below).
- Place a slice of brie and a sliver of apple in the center of your ghost.
- Drizzle with honey.
- Gently place additional ghost cut out atop your brie apple mix, carefully sealing the edges. *assemble on a baking sheet
4. Bake to Perfection: Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the pastry turns golden brown.
5. Add Eyes to Your Ghost: For the ghost’s eyes, you can use sesame seeds, sprinkles, or even raisins. As you can see, I opted for eyeless ghosts for these guys, but my first batch had sprinkle eyes – so cute.
6. Enjoy the Haunting Feast
Your spooky apple brie ghost bites are not only a treat for the palate but also (as you can see) super freaking cute. Happy Halloween!