Welcome to A Movie Lover’s Book Club where we discuss all things novels, movies, and more. If you’ve found this post, it’s because you’re interested in my August’s book pick. Yay! If it’s your first time here or just need a refresher, let’s dive into logistics…
A Movie Lover’s Book Club: How It Works
It’s totally ok if you still need to finish the book – all are welcome to join in and share their thoughts. If you want, start with my questions, or if you feel passionate about a passage you’ve read or a scene you watched, jump right into the comments and discuss. I want books to be inclusive and engaging, so don’t hesitate to share your thoughts. Your comments and ideas are valuable, no matter how many pages you’ve read.
- Every month a new book is introduced with a film or series counterpart.
- Next month (September), look for my “NOVEL TITLE Discussion” post.
- Expect novel discussion posts to occur on the 10th of each month, and the new months pick a few days following.
- Each book is an opportunity for us to review the month’s novel, analyze themes of both the novel and the media counterpart, and get nerdy with it.
I recently partnered with Bookshop. A website alternative to Amazon, connecting readers with independent booksellers. When you make a purchase through my affiliation link I may earn a portion of the sales at no additional cost to you. Shop my full bookshop – here.
My goals for the discussion posts
- Include a book review
- Questions to ask yourself and each other with my own responses
- Memorable moments and quotes
- Snack/meal ideas to pair with the book and watch-along counterpart
- A film/show review (compare and contrast the adaptation)
- Other fun things things
- In working to fulfill my hopes of creating a true community on my website, I will be actively checking and participating in thoughts and discussion on the book each month.
- Of course, you don’t have to watch the movie or show to participate; this is just about having fun.
- Please feel free to share any book interests in the comment section below.
- I always want to know what you’re reading, so even if you didn’t choose to read the book I picked for the month, share what you are reading.
August Book Pick
Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
About the Novel
Fight Club is similar to The Shining, Silence of the Lambs, Forest Gump, and so on in that most of us have watched the film without ever turning the book’s pages. It’s true for me. On my list, with an exception for The Shining, I’ve yet to read these critically acclaimed films. Leading me to August.
I was browsing through a local bookshop, trying to decide on August’s book. I had one in mind, but they didn’t have that particular title. Then, bam, there it was, oddly seeming to call to me from a high shelf, Fight Club. I looked it over, skimming the pages. I’ve seen the movie countless times. Never considered the book. Why not? This is what A Movie Lover’s Book Club is about. And although I’ve seen the movie and know the story, I’m excited to compare the too.
If you haven’t watched the film, I promise you’re in for a treat.
I would say more, but I’m not supposed to talk about it.
What We’re Watching